Thursday, April 18, 2013

DIY Kanzashi Flower Hair Accessory

When looking for a flower piece for my hair, I knew I wanted something origami inspired and under budget.  This limited my options.  In the end, I decided to make my own hair accessory.  I began to look on etsy for inspiration (I was originally going to buy one from etsy, but they were all out of my price range). 

In the end, I found a tutorial on youtube.  I think this is the one I learned from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5OyjujqPE4 
There is a part 2, also.  If you look up how to make a "Kanzashi flower," you can find many different types of tutorials.

I changed this one a little, pinching the outer point of each petal and sewing it shut/together - this created a pointed petal shape, versus rounded.  This was difficult, as I had to try and hide the beginning and end knots of the thread, under each petal. 


In the middle, I used an extra button from my wedding dress.  It matched the fabric perfectly!  Oh, and I forgot to mention - the fabric used for the flower, was the leftover fabric from the obi material used to make the sash for my wedding dress. Under the flower, I used an alligator clip from Michael's craft store - bringing the grand total for making this accessory to about $2!


www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com

www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com

www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com
Photographed by Quinn Photography (but cropped by the bride)

No comments:

Post a Comment