Saturday, September 8, 2012

Recycled T-Shirt Bags

I went to visit my best friend this weekend and she was knitting recycled bags!  It reminded me of some projects I had finished over the summer . . .

I had been trying to think of other ways to recycle old shirts that I don't want to get rid of (because they have my name on them, they are funny, or because they have a special memory tied to them).  As much as I enjoy making T-shirt quilts - I wanted something different . . . I already have enough blankets as it is.

So, I searched online, and found this http://www.instructables.com/id/FASTEST-RECYCLED-T-SHIRT-TOTE-BAG/?ALLSTEPS


It is super easy!  You basically cut off the sleeves (leaving the seam), then cut the middle/neck (size depending on how big you want the opening to be), and sew the bottom!

www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com





www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com



www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com

www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com






I also started using 2 shirts in order to make thicker, more heavy duty, recycled bags - one for the outside of the bag, and one for the inner lining.  

www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com

www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com


For this particular bag (above), I sewed the straps on (also made from the same T-shirt).  Then I realized it might be easier if the straps were sewn so that one strap is sewn in a U-shape to one side of the bag, and the other strap is sewn in a U-shape to the other side of the bag - Making it easier for loading and carrying (as seen below).
www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com


www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com

www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com

www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com

www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com

www.lwadamelon.blogspot.com







Recycled bags are perfect, too - great for the environment, washable, and many stores are now requiring you to bring your own bag.

(Apologies for the bags looking wrinkled in the photos - I carry/leave them in my car).  

1 comment:

  1. AMAZING!!! ...and what a good idea! Your mods are so smart. There are definitely shirts I can't bear to part with that would be better loved as a recycle bag than in the bottom of my drawers. The taiko bag is def my favorite.

    ReplyDelete